My Comparisons and Ratings – Cleaning
This is part of my comparison chart for the menstrual cups I have tried.
See here for the chart and links to the other sections.
This is looking at what markings are on the cups (and their potential to collect blood and make cleaning harder). None of the cups were “hard” to clean, but those without anything inside were slightly easier to clean and/or have less potential for being difficult to clean….
- Aneer/iClean – No markings
- Bassrose – No markings
- Blossom Cup – Raised capacity lines and measurements
- Claricup – No markings.
- Cup Lee – No markings
- Diva – Raised name, country, size & capacity lines.
- Eco-Cup – No markings
- Femmecup (old) -Website, capacity lines.
- Femmecup (new) – Very slight capacity lines
- Femmycycle – No markings, the anti-leak spout part means you can give the cup a good shake/swish to help cleaning inside.
- Fleurcup – No markings
- Gaia Cup – Has the brand name on the top of the rim and also down near the base in slightly raised handwriting type font. Also the Size marking.
- Juju – Very light indented name & size
- Keeper – Name, country and capacity lines?
- Lady Cup – No markings
- Lena Cup – Slightly raised brand name
- Lily Compact – No markings. The base of the cup does go down into a small recessed section, which may make cleaning more difficult, also has the slightly bumps from the folding design.
- Lily Cup – No markings. Does have the lip which will require a little more care when cleaning to ensure it is clean under there.
- LunaCup – No markings
- Lunette – No markings
- Luv Ur Body – Brand name on top of rim, measuring lines on the inside and a size marking.
- Mami Cup – Brand name, “made in Italy”, size marking and measuring lines on the inside.
- MeLuna – No markings
- Miacup – Name.
- Mooncup UK – Website, sizing, logo around the inside rim. Pattern on the base and capacity lines with 6mls and 12mls markings.
- MPower – No markings
- OrganiCup – No markings
- Ruby Cup -Raised name and capacity lines on both sides.
- Sckoon Cup – No markings
- Si-bell – No markings.
- Yuuki – Name, size and capacity lines.
- Vcup – Very slightly raised logo and measuring lines
Keeper has “The keeper made in USA” in raised capitals all around the inside of the rim (I hate the typeface.. looks large chunky and less professional) and 2 rings around the inside. Not sure if they are measuring lines or not. Mooncup UK has their website in larger letters, their sizing in raised letters on the flat inside bottom and raised dots beside the size (not sure why). Some of the cups use indented writing, which seems less likely to catch blood than smaller raised lettering.
I found none of the measuring lines collected any blood really… not as much as I’d thought it would. Though it did make it a fraction harder to clean inside (one lazy wipe cleans the smooth inside cups and I had to wipe a bit more carefully to clean the others) – but rinsing with water (which is how I normally clean the cups between use) seemed to clean them all with the same amount of ease.
I noticed once that there was dried blood in the writing that hadn’t washed off properly when I’d rinsed it after use (oops). So the potential for blood catchment in the writing/markings is there, so having no markings is better than having the chance to be harder to clean IMHO…
So score one point for cups with a smooth(er) inside that is easier to clean, half a point to Juju, Lily Cup, Lily Compact, Yuuki Femmecup (new) & Vcup because the markings/details are only very slight.
Score totals after Stems, Grip, Insertion & Cleaning (inside)
Aneer 5 | Bassrose 5 | Blossom 1.5 | ClariCup 4.5 | CupLee 4 | Diva 1 | EcoCup 2.5 | Femmecup (new) 0 | Femmycycle 4.5 | Fleurcup 6 | Gaia Cup 2.5 | iClean 5 | Juju 0
Keeper -1 | Ladycup 3 | Lena 5.5 | Lily Compact 2 | Lily Cup 2 | LunaCup 2 | Lunette 4 | Luv Ur Body 2 | MamiCup 3 | MeLuna 6 | MiaCup 2 | Mooncup UK 1
MPower 0 | OrganiCup 5.5 | RubyCup .5 | Skoon 5.5 | Si-bell 4.5 | Vcup 1.5 | Yuuki New 2.5
This is looking at what markings, ridges and writing is on the outside of cups (excluding grip lines on the base of the cup) and their potential to collect blood and make cleaning harder. I found the more pronounced ridge (where the cup has the “stepped” sides near the top rim) to be slightly more likely to catch blood (and other vaginal secretions) than the smoother sides.
- Aneer/iClean – very slight ridge, no markings.
- Bassrose – No Ridge, no markings
- Blossom Cup – No ride, small bumps, no markings.
- Claricup – No ridge, no markings, slight indentations up the sides.
- Cup Lee – Very slight ridge, no markings
- Diva – Pronounced ridge, no markings.
- Eco-Cup – No ridge, no markings
- Femmecup (both)- Pronounced ridge, no markings.
- Femmycycle – No markings, no ridge
- Fleurcup – No markings or ridge
- Gaia Cup – No ridge, no markings
- Juju – No ridge or markings.
- Keeper – Pronounced ridge, no markings.
- Lady Cup – No ridge or markings.
- Lena Cup – No ridge, no markings.
- Lily Compact – No ridge or markings, does have bumps from the foldable design.
- Lily Cup – No ridge or markings
- Luna Cup – No ridge, size mark and raised capacity lines.
- Lunette – Slight ridge, indented writing and raised capacity lines.
- Luv Ur Body – Slight rounded ridge, with grip patterns all over the cup.
- Mami Cup – Very slight ridge, no markings, slight lines up sides of cup.
- MeLuna – No ridge or markings.
- Miacup – Pronounced ridge, no markings.
- Mooncup UK – Pronounced ridge, no markings
- MPower -Slight ridge, no markings.
- OrganiCup – very slight ridge, brand name in raised writing, measuring lines.
- Ruby Cup – Slight ridge, no markings.
- Sckoon Cup – No ridge, no markings.
- Si-bell – No ridge, no markings, slight indentations up the sides.
- Yuuki – No ridge, no markings.
- Vcup – very slight ridge, No markings.
Score 2 points to the cups who have no ridge and no markings. 1 point to cups with slight ridge and no markings. 0.5 points to cups with no ridge and markings.
Score totals after Stems, Grip, Insertion, Cleaning (inside) & Cleaning (Outside)
Aneer 7 | Bassrose 7 | Blossom 3.5 | ClariCup 6.5 | CupLee 5 | Diva 1 | EcoCup 4.5 | Femmecup (new) 0 | Femmycycle 6.5 | Fleurcup 8 | Gaia Cup 4.5 | iClean 7 | Juju 2
Keeper -1 | Ladycup 5 | Lena 7.5 | Lily Compact 3 | Lily Cup 4 | LunaCup 2.5 | Lunette 4 | Luv Ur Body 2.5 | MamiCup 4 | MeLuna 7 | MiaCup 2 | Mooncup UK 1
MPower 1 | OrganiCup 6 | RubyCup 1.5 | Skoon 7.5 | Si-bell 6.5 | Vcup 2 | Yuuki New 4.5
Cleaning (and info on) the holes
This is going by how large the holes are and how easy they are to clean (or how likely they are to get full of gunk). I’ll describe the holes as “tiny”, “small”, “regular” and “large”. Some holes are punched through on an angle (so the holes are longer) and some are straight through. I don’t know how much difference this makes to cleaning, but an angled hole has more surface area so may be slightly harder to clean (especially if the holes are small)
- Aneer/iClean – 2 “small” straight holes, 7mm (small) ans 8mm (large) from rim. iClean cup had 1 of the holes not punched out properly, and I had to pull off the extra silicone.
- Bassrose – no holes due to the valve stem
- Blossom Cup – 4 “Large” straight holes, 7mm and 9mm from rim.
- Claricup – 4 “regular” straight holes, 7mm from rim. Some not neatly punched through.
- Cup Lee – 4 “regular” straight holes, some not as neatly punched. 7mm from rim
- Diva – 4 “tiny” / angled holes, 7mm from rim (small). Took a lot of effort to clean.
- Eco-Cup – 5 “small” \ angled holes, 8mm from rim. Some holes not punched cleanly.
- Femmecup (old) – “Small” straight holes cleaned ok
- Femmecup (new) – 4 “Large” horizontal angles holes, 17mm from rim. Easy to clean
- Femmycycle – no holes
- Fleurcup – 4 “regular” horizontal angled holes, 7mm from rim (large). Easy to clean
- Gaia Cup – 6 “regular” \ angled holes. 5mm from rim.
- Juju – 4 “regular” straight holes, 8mm from rim (small & large). Easy to clean
- Keeper – 6 “tiny” straight holes, 17mm from rim (small). Given the colour, hard to see if clean or not.
- Lady Cup – 6 “large” \ angled holes, 17mm from rim (large & small). Easy to clean
- Lena Cup – 4 “large” angled holes, 6mm from rim.
- Lily Compact – 4 “small” straight holes, 6mm from rim.
- Lily Cup – No holes
- LunaCup – 4 “regular” straight holes, 11mm(small) 8mm (large) from rim. Easy to clean
- Lunette – 4 “regular” straight holes, 7mm from rim (small & large). Easy to clean
- Luv Ur Body – 4 “regular” straight holes, 7mm 9small), 8mm (med), 9mm (large) from rim. Easy to clean.
- Mami Cup – 4 “small” horizontal slightly angled holes. 6mm from rim.
- MeLuna (old) – 2 “regular” straight, easy to clean
- MeLuna (new) – 2 “small” straight holes, 9mm (large) from rim. Easy to clean
- Miacup – 4 “medium” straight holes, 11mm (large) from rim. Cleaned easily, large enough to see if clean.
- Mooncup UK (new) – 6 “small” \ angled holes at the edge of the ridge, 11mm from rim.
- Mooncup UK (old) – 6 “small” straight holes, 16mm from rim (small & large). Easy to clean
- MPower – 4 “huge” straight holes, 8mm from rim. Very easy to clean
- OrganiCup – 4 “large” slightly horizontally angled holes, 8mm from rim. Easy to clean.
- Ruby Cup – 4 “small” straight holes, 13mm from rim. Easy to clean
- Sckoon cup – 5 “medium” \ very angled holes, 6mm from rim (small & large). Easy to clean
- Si-bell – 4 “regular” straight holes, 7mm from rim.
- Yuuki – 4 “tiny” \ angled holes, 6mm (small) from rim. Cleaned easily
- VCup – 2 “tiny” straight holes. 17mm from rim
The holes of the Diva really bugged me, and I only tried it twice. The only holes I really had a problem with. They would not rinse clean for me, I had to get a pin and poke them clean. I imagine I would take to it with a heated metal skewer to enlarge them if I bought one and had to use a pin each time…. I tried putting my hand over the cup and squirting water out through them (my usual method) , and it doesn’t work to clear them (where it does for the other cups)….The Yukki holes are not much bigger and also angled, but those cleaned fine. I don’t know if it’s because of the direction they angle in? Diva holes angle down, Yuuki holes angled up.
With the Keeper’s brown colour, you can’t see if the holes are dirty though, which is a big turn off for me – given the amount of gunk I’ve seen in the silicone cups holes, if you don’t see it, you might not clean it well enough to remove it…. and not all of us disinfect or boil the cups between uses…. The larger the holes obviously the easier to clean them. The large holes didn’t even need the palm squeeze trick to clean them, they came clean with a rinse under the tap. Miacup’s holes while also opaque like Keeper, are larger so I can see through them, so I’m happy with them.
So I’ll give a 2 points to each cup with no holes or “large” (or “huge”) holes, 1 point to “regular” holes. No points for “small” holes and minus 0.5 for the “tiny” holes. While Yuuki cleaned easily for the, the Diva had incredibly difficult holes to clean, so it’s a potential problem for that size holes….. and -1 to Keeper for the fact that while they seem to come clean ok, you can’t see clearly if the holes need cleaning or not….
A few cups don’t have the airholes fully punched through, leaving either a thin skin of silicone over the holes, or a piece of displaced silicone sitting beside or over the top of the hole. Some of these I noticed can gather blood and be harder to clean. They also detract from the look of the cup, so I’ll score -1 point for any cup with 1 or more holes that are not fully clear. So for example ClariCup would get 1 point for easy to clean size of holes, but loses 1 point because some of the holes have this issue.
Score totals after Stems, Grip, Insertion, Cleaning (inside), Cleaning (Outside) & Holes
Aneer 8 | Bassrose 9 | Blossom 5.5 | ClariCup 6.5 | CupLee 5 | Diva .5 | EcoCup 4.5 | Femmecup (new) 2 | Femmycycle 8.5 | Fleurcup 9 | Gaia Cup 5.5 | iClean 6 | Juju 3
Keeper -2 | Ladycup 7 | Lena 9.5 | Lily Compact 3 | Lily Cup 6 | LunaCup 3.5 | Lunette 5 | Luv Ur Body 3.5 | MamiCup 4 | MeLuna 7 | MiaCup 3 | Mooncup UK 1
MPower 3 | OrganiCup 8 | RubyCup 1.5 | Skoon 8.5 | Si-bell 7.5 | Vcup 1.5 | Yuuki New 4.5